Worker's Compensation

Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance funded by employers. It provides financial benefits to injured workers, including medical expenses, weekly payments for disability, rehabilitation services, or a lump sum for permanent impairment.

There are also provisions in place for dependents who have lost their loved ones due to workplace injuries. The amount and duration of some types of worker’s comp will differ from that provided under common law, which involves the victim suing an employer when negligence has occurred.

What is covered under the workers’ compensation scheme?

Workers’ compensation varies on a jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction basis in Australia. Each state and territory has its own legislation, as does the Australian government itself for those employees of Comcare. However, entitlement to such benefits is not determined by where you work but rather by what Act applies to your case (Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981 in Western Australia).

FAQ's About Workers Compensation

There are many different types of documents your employer may ask you to complete-attendance certificates, initial (first), continuing (progress) and final (clearance) medical certificates, reports from treating practitioners like doctors and therapists who see the employee regularly as part of treatment plans – so make sure you’re constantly updating!

The GP needs a history and medical records before making any determinations. Still, they can also make some critical observations on their own by asking questions about what led up to the injury and how long the symptoms lasted afterwards. 

The GP is not going to decide who’s at fault. They’re just checking that what happened matches up with the injuries described in detail.

The GP needs to ask the patient some questions about their injury and examine them and order appropriate investigations. They should also document a precise medical diagnosis using acceptable medical terminology to communicate it with other healthcare providers who might need this information for post-care or follow-up care.

There may need to be a certification of fitness to return to work for injuries or conditions that have been long-standing. This can be documented on a continuing certificate, in a letter to the insurer, or on a final certificate specifically designed for this purpose (according to the jurisdiction).

*Comcare is the agency responsible for workplace safety, rehabilitation and compensation in the jurisdiction of the Australian Commonwealth Government.

For serious injuries and illness,

call an ambulance on triple zero (000) or visit your nearest hospital emergency department.

Book an appointment today!

Booking an appointment with our team is convenient and easy. Click the Book now button to schedule your next doctor appointment.